There’s one thing I’m learning in my Daniel Fast, is that I am spending A LOT of time preparing food. It’s really nice to have something that comes together quickly and is still delicious.
Bean Quinoa Salad with Spinach and Tomatoes
1 15 oz. can mixed beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 – 2 c. cooked quinoa
1 cup spinach, sliced into strips
2 roma tomatoes, cubed
1 – 2 slices red onion, minced
Handful of fresh parsley, sliced
Fresh Ground Pepper
Kosher or Sea Salt
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the beans, quinoa, spinach, tomatoes, red onion and parsley.
- Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice. Sprinkle with salt to taste and liberally with fresh pepper.
- Toss salad until evenly covered.
What is your favourite quick meal?
This recipe has been linked up on Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Real Food Wednesdays and Seasonal Sunday.
September’s Go Ahead Honey, It’s Gluten Free challenge is “Disney Inspired Food” hosted by Gluten Free Gidget. Initially, I didn’t know what I should do, but when I started thinking about my favourite Disney Movie “The Emperor’s New Groove” immediately came to mind. And what does that mean? Spinach Puffs!
I thus then perused the interwebs for recipes, but didn’t quite find any to my liking, so I made my own based on a few of the of recipes I found.
Spinach Puffs ala Kronk from the Emperor’s Groove
GF Pastry Mix for one crust, rolled between two pieces of wax paper, 1/4″ thick in as rectangular as you can
1 pkg cream cheese, softened
1/4 onion, chopped
2-3+ cups of fresh spinach, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 c. feta cheese, crumbled
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 c. grated cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
- Beat cream cheese until fluffy in a mixer.
- Add eggs one at a time until beaten in.
- Add all cheeses, spinach and salt and pepper and mix on low speed until just barely incorporated.
- Spoon filling onto pastry on one side, then roll over and pinch ends together.
- Cut roll into ~1″ thick strips and carefully lift onto a greased cookie sheet. Note: I did end up having a lot of filling left over. It is quite tasty when spooned into muffin tins and baked until slightly browned.
- Cook at 350F for about 20 minutes or until edges are nicely golden brown.
They’re not quite as triangle-y as Kronk’s, but unlike Yzma I do like his spinach puffs.
What is your favourite Disney movie?