For January’s Secret Recipe Club, I was paired with Lindsay of Life and Kitchen. Lindsay has been a vegetarian since the beginning of 2012, so most of her recipes are meat free! As well as tons of delicious recipes, she includes lots of commentary on her life outside of the kitchen – including her ridiculously cute daughter, Lily, and their adventures with a growing kid.
But speaking of delicious recipes, I literally looked through 20 pages of her blog and was so indecisive about what I should make! Some of the recipes that caught my eye were her: Bacon and Goat Cheese Muffins, Cucumber Hummus Cups, and her Broccoli Salad with Raisins and Sunflower Seeds, (which is a variation of a favourite of ours, but since I’ve already made it, I decided not to make it again.
When I saw Lindsay’s recipe for Grilled Peanut Butter Apple Sandwiches, I knew what I was going to make: her Banana Oatmeal Bread! It’s super easy to make, is healthy and is super tasty! I made a few variations – making it gluten and egg free, reducing the sugar and adding more bananas. The only thing I didn’t like about it is that the some of gluten free oats were still uncooked after baking – apparently they take longer than regular, so next time I think I’ll either up the liquid in the loaf or soak the oats for a few minutes before mixing them in.
Gluten Free, Vegan Banana Oatmeal Bread
1/3 c. each brown rice flour, sorghum flour and tapioca starch
1/4 c. millet flour
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1/3 c. unpacked brown sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 egg replacers (1 tbsp. powder, 1/4 c. almond milk – make according to the directions on package)
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
4 ripe bananas, mashed
1 c. old fashioned GF oats
- Line a 8 x 4″ loaf pan with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Add in egg replacers, oil and vinegar and mix until combined (mine was a bit dry at the moment as instead of adding the equivalent of another egg, I added another banana).
- Mix in banana and oatmeal and then scrape into pan.
- Bake for 45 – 50 minutes or until a few toothpicks inserted into the loaf come out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then let cool on a rack.
- Enjoy by itself or in a grilled peanut butter apple sandwich!
Grilled Peanut Butter Apple Sandwich
2 slices banana bread
Margarine (or soy-free spread)
- Butter one side of each piece of banana bread and place butter side down on a board/plate/etc.
- Spread peanut butter on both sides of the bread and arrange apple slices on one pieces.
- Assemble your sandwich and cook in a preheated pan for about 5 min a side or until each side is golden brown.
Please check out the rest of Group D’s recipes by clicking the link below!