For August’s Secret Recipe Club, I was paired with Sue of Palatable Pastime! Sue has tons of amazing recipes like her Autumn Apple Nog, Lebanese Red Cabbage Salad, Asparagus with Crispy Garlic Proscuitto and Bubble and Squeak.
I chose to make her Avocado Bacon Pancakes with Maple Syrup! She has a few different recipes with the avocado/maple/bacon flavour combination, like her maple bacon guacamole, all inspired by some avocado toast with bacon and maple syrup!
I was a bit skeptical at first, but the flavour combination worked out pretty well! I made a few modifications – I made the pancakes gluten and dairy free to make them more “me friendly”. My avocado wasn’t as ripe as I would have liked, but it still worked.
This recipe makes 6 pretty thick pancakes. They had good texture and weren’t dry at all!
Gluten and Dairy Free Avocado Bacon Pancakes with Maple Syrup
Makes 6 pancakes
3/4 c. almond milk
1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 large egg
1 1/2 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. cooked, crumbled bacon bits
1 c. GF Flour (I used 1/4 c. each of tapioca, white rice, sorghum, 2 tbsp. of sweet white rice and 1 tbsp each of millet and cornmeal)
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 ripe avocado, diced
- Preheat griddle to 350F and lightly oil (A bit of oil on paper towel).
- Measure out almond milk and add vinegar to create buttermilk. Stir and let sit for a few minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and xanthan gum.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together “buttermilk”, oil and egg.
- Add sugar, baking powder and salt and whisk until combined.
- Add flour and bacon bits and stir until batter is smooth.
- Fold in avocado pieces, being careful not to mash them.
- Scoop out 1/2 c. batter onto griddle for each pancake. (Sue recommends to lower griddle temperature at this point, but I didn’t and they still worked out fine.) If pancakes need to be sculpted on the griddle, add more milk so the batter is thin enough to flatten out slightly itself.
- When pancake forms bubbles on top and you can get a spatula beneath without trouble, flip the pancake and brown the other side until the pancake is springy but firm to the touch.
- Enjoy warm with dairy free margarine (butter) and lots of maple syrup!
Please check out the rest of Group D’s recipes by clicking the link below!