For February’s Secret Recipe Club, I was paired with Susan of Food Baby Life. Susan is an amazing baker – just look at all the Daring Bakers, Tuesdays with Dorie and Baking with Julia challenges she has done! It was very hard for me to decide what I was going to make! I spent so long looking through recipes like her cornflake biscuits (so similar to what my grandma used to make for us when we were kids!), Spiced Apple Baked French Toast, or her Mediterranean Lamb Salad.
I was having such a hard time deciding what I was going to make, so I asked Mr. Bean for help. I ended up choosing her chocolate zucchini muffins. I made them gluten free and a little bit healthier by replacing some of the oil with applesauce.
I had a few issues – all of which would probably have been solved had I squeezed the water out of the zucchini prior to mixing it in. My muffins took almost 40 minutes to cook because the insides were too wet. Once they were cooked, they were pretty tasty!
Gluten Free Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
1/4 c. each tapioca starch, potato starch, brown rice flour, sorghum flour and millet flour
1 tsp. xathan gum
2 tsp. baking powder
Pinch of salt
1/4 c. cocoa
3/4 c. gluten free oats
1/3-1/2 c. coconut palm sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 small zucchini, grated & excess liquid squeezed out
3/4 c. almond (or other dairy free) milk
1/4 c. olive oil
1/2 c. applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla
- 1. Line or grease a muffin tin and preheat oven to 350F. (I used 12 mini muffins and 9 normal sized)
- Shift together flours. Mix in the remainder of the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet into the dry and mix until just combined.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tins and cook for 20 – 25 min for the normal sized muffins.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before cooling on a wire rack.
Susan, it was great looking through all the beautiful recipes on your blog! 🙂
Please click below to see the rest of Group D’s recipes!