After making a paleo pumpkin pie for the Thanksgiving dinner with Mr. Bean’s family (the crust was a variation of Elana’a Coconut Almond Crust from her Almond Flour Cookbook and the filling was from This Primal Life), I needed to make some kind of egg free for the dinner my brother hosted the next day. I didn’t want a pumpkin pie repeat, although if I had I would have made this one with an almond flour crust, and I wanted it to be relatively healthy (given the whole trying not to eat so much sugar thing.) I got thinking: since I love pumpkin loaf and zucchini loaf, why not put them both together? So I did and it was tasty.
Since the loaf is egg free, it takes a lot longer to cook than its egg filled counterpart. It’s also a lot harder to tell whether it is fully cooked our not, but the good thing is with egg replacer made with pureed fruits is that if you over cook it a bit, it is still pretty moist. I slightly under-cooked mine (oops), but I didn’t hear any complaints and it still disappeared very quickly at dinner!
I really liked the flavour – the combination of the spices, pumpkin and zucchini were quite delicious and the raisins added just a little hint of sweetness. Personally, I enjoyed it the most plain, but it also tasted fair good with a bit of margarine or earth balance spread.
Gluten Free Vegan Zucchini Pumpkin Loaf
Adapted from the Joy of Cooking
1/2 c. almond flour
1/2 c. tapioca starch
1/3 c. rice flour
1/3 c. millet flour
1/3 c. sorghum flour
1 tsp. xathan gum
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 – 1/4 tsp. cloves
1/8 – 1/4 tsp. allspice
6 tbsp. vegan margarine or butter replacement
1/3 c. sucunat (I grind mine in my magic bullet first so it’s nice and powder-y)
14 oz jar of canned pumpkin
1 egg replacer
1/3 c. agave nectar
2 tbsp. almond milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 small – medium zucchini, grated with excess water squeezed out.
1/2 c. raisins
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Grease or line a 9×5″ pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients.
- In the bowl of your mixer, cream the fat and sucunat together until fluffy. Add in the pumpkin, egg replacer, agave nectar, almond milk and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Add in the dry ingredients and beat until almost smooth.
- Mix in the zucchini and raisins on low speed until evenly distributed.
- Bake in oven for at least one hour (mine took about 1 hr 15 minutes) or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let sit in pan for about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and let it cool. You can serve it warm, but it cuts a bit better if it is cooler.
What’s your favourite kind of loaf?
Recipe Submitted to: Gluten Free Wednesdays.