They are based on this recipe, but I have changed it as I don’t like sesame seeds. I also like them as they do not require any eggs or egg replacer and don’t use any grains as flours. You do need to be really careful with how much salt you add as they can get too salty really quickly.
Vegan Walnut Zucchini Crackers
2 c. walnuts, soaked for 2+ hours
2 small – medium sized zucchinis, cut into pieces
1/3 c. flax meal
1/2 c. almond meal
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt (more or less to taste)
- In a food processor, purée the walnuts and zucchini together until no chunks remain.
- Add flax meal, almond meal and salt until fully incorporated.
- Divide mixture evenly between two parchment paper lined cookie sheets. Using a spatula, spread out the batter thinly. Try your best to get it to an even thickness.
- Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut the crackers into rectangles or squares.
- Place in a 250F oven for 1 – 2 hours. The time depends on how large your zucchinis were and how thin the crackers are. They are done when the cracker is crisp and it doesn’t fall apart or feel soft when you pick it up. I wasn’t very good at getting the crackers to a perfectly even thickness, so I would remove crackers from the oven as they became done to prevent them from burning.
- Separate and let them cool on a wire rack.
- Enjoy with your favourite spread!
What is your favourite type of crackers? Have you ever tried to make your own?