This month’s Go Ahead Honey, It’s Gluten Free is hosted by Amy of Simply Sugar and Gluten Free. This month’s theme is “guiltless pleasures.” I love baking, so it makes sense that one of my guilty pleasures is whatever dessert I feel like making. Most desserts are high in calories, sugar and fat. (anything with icing, anyone?) I wanted to try to make some healthier muffins, so I made a variation of these Strawberry Yoghurt Muffins courtesy of the Culinary Wannabe.
Strawberry – Blueberry Yoghurt Muffins
1 1/3 c. brown rice flour
1/3 c. each tapioca starch and sorghum flour
1 tsp. xathan gum
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. plain yoghurt
1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. chopped strawberries
1/2 c. to 3/4 c. frozen blueberries
- Heat oven to 375F.
- Whisk together flour, xathan gum, sugar and baking soda.
- Whisk together yoghurt, applesauce, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just mixed.
- Add strawberries and blueberries and stir to distribute berries throughout batter.
- Spoon into muffin tin lined with paper cups.
- Cook for about 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out dry.
- Cool and enjoy!
The muffins had a fairly good texture and were quite tasty thanks to all the fruit.
These babies were about 140 calories each according to fitwatch.com. The only way that I could think of making these healthier is to use something like agave nectar in place of the sugar.
What is your favourite guiltless pleasure?