Yesterday was Shrove Tuesday. Shrove Tuesday, at least in my family, means deliciously amazing pancakes. Not your average pancakes-from-a-mix pancakes, but wonderfully light yet heavy and not doughy pancake. Yum.
Gluten Free Shrove Tuesday Pancakes
For each egg, you need:
2 tbsp. rice flour
1 tbsp. oil
1/2 c. milk (can be dairy free milk alternative as well)
1/8 tsp. salt
- Heat a griddle to 325F (you can also use a frying pan if you’d like.)
- Separate eggs. Beat egg whites until firm (NOT stiff) and still fairly wet.
- Add flour, oil and salt to egg yolks with a bit of milk. Whisk together.
- Add the rest of the milk and whisk until combined.
- Fold in the egg whites. The batter should be about the consistency of thick cream + egg whites.
- Using a measuring spoon to pour batter onto heated griddle. The point is to make either circular or elongated shapes that are easy to roll.
- Carefully flip over the pancake once the side is gold brown. If it is not cooked enough, it will rip. This isn’t the end of the world as you just have smaller pancakes – like the pancakes in the picture below.
- Once the pancakes are cooked and golden brown on each side, sprinkle sugar and lemon juice on them and roll them up.
- Keep warm in oven until you’re ready to eat them. Enjoy!
Note: Mr. Bean and I used 3 eggs and we were very full.
Do you normally have pancakes on Shrove Tuesday?