September’s Go Ahead Honey, It’s Gluten Free challenge is “Disney Inspired Food” hosted by Gluten Free Gidget. Initially, I didn’t know what I should do, but when I started thinking about my favourite Disney Movie “The Emperor’s New Groove” immediately came to mind. And what does that mean? Spinach Puffs!
I thus then perused the interwebs for recipes, but didn’t quite find any to my liking, so I made my own based on a few of the of recipes I found.
Spinach Puffs ala Kronk from the Emperor’s Groove
GF Pastry Mix for one crust, rolled between two pieces of wax paper, 1/4″ thick in as rectangular as you can
1 pkg cream cheese, softened
1/4 onion, chopped
2-3+ cups of fresh spinach, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 c. feta cheese, crumbled
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 c. grated cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
- Beat cream cheese until fluffy in a mixer.
- Add eggs one at a time until beaten in.
- Add all cheeses, spinach and salt and pepper and mix on low speed until just barely incorporated.
- Spoon filling onto pastry on one side, then roll over and pinch ends together.
- Cut roll into ~1″ thick strips and carefully lift onto a greased cookie sheet. Note: I did end up having a lot of filling left over. It is quite tasty when spooned into muffin tins and baked until slightly browned.
- Cook at 350F for about 20 minutes or until edges are nicely golden brown.
They’re not quite as triangle-y as Kronk’s, but unlike Yzma I do like his spinach puffs.
What is your favourite Disney movie?