This month’s theme for Go Ahead Honey, It’s Gluten Free is “Make me a happy camper” hosted by Shirley at Gluten Free Easily.
What makes me a happy camper? The first thing I thought of was bannock*, so I tried to make it and it was a fail. Second thing I thought of were salad. I love salads – what is nicer on a ridiculously hot day like we’ve been having recently? I like them so much that I made not one, but two salads.
This is a classic that my family would eat frequently as I was growing up. There’s no strict rule for how much of each ingredient you use so my amounts can be changed.
3-4 large carrots, peeled and grated
1 apple, diced
Bunch of grapes, halved
Handful of raisins and/or currants
Handful of nuts (almonds/walnuts/pecans) chopped or broken into piece
- Prepare ingredients as directed and put into a large bowl.
- Spoon in some mayonnaise until salad is coated to desirable level.
- Eat right away or serve chilled.
Vegetable Lover’s Pasta Salad
I was looking around for a good pasta salad recipe and I didn’t find any I liked as they all had token vegetables. So, I made my own salad with a sufficient amount of veggies – it’s not a salad without vegetables! (Unless of course, it’s fruit.)
3/4 package of brown rice noodle shells
1 cucumber, diced
4 tomatoes, cut into chunks
1 jar of canned artichokes, drained
2-3 pieces of celery, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
Block of feta cheese, cut into small(ish) pieces
Scant 1/2 c. olive oil
3 tbsp. lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic, minced (I used garlic powder as we ran out of garlic)
lots of parsley
salt, pepper, other spices to taste
- Cook noodles until very Al Dente. Drain and rinse with lots of cold water.
- Prepare vegetables and cheese as directed and put into a large bowl. Add noodles.
- In a glass measuring cup, prepare the dressing and stir together with a spoon.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss until coated.
- Put salad in fridge until ready to use.
Note: I took and extra GF Freybe sausage we had cooked, sliced it and ate it with this salad for lunch today. Very tasty!
Anyone else made any good salad lately?
*If you really want to see the bannock and have the recipe I can – just ask!