For March’s Food challenge from Jenna at That Wife, we were instructed to make some kind of salad with green in it. Well, since I like salad so much, I made a few varieties. Please be warned that I looooove veggies so there’s no macaroni salad here.
When I make green salads, I don’t usually have a specific recipe – I basically use what vegetables I have in my fridge.
- Wash and put either lettuce or spinach in a bowl.
- Cut up and put on salad: carrots, celery, cucumber, green onions, mushrooms, peppers, strawberries, etc.
- If you want to make the salad a meal, add some nuts or meat (ie. chicken breast cut up.)
- Drizzle either your favourite salad dressing or a mixture of olive oil and balsamic vinegar on salad.
I once saw this salad in a weight watchers book, but it didn’t come with a recipe, so I made it up.
- Drain and rinse a can of chickpeas (I used a 19 oz. container)
- Chop up: 2-3 carrots, 2 stalk of celery, 2 tomatoes, 1/3 a cucumber and 2 – 3 green onions.
- Sprinkle liberally with parsley.
- Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar over salad to taste.