I made this pie for Mr. Bean because he loves pie so much.I was meaning to make it with a pie mix, but I only had enough for one crust and the mix at the grocery store at whey powder in it. Both recipes are from the Joy of Cooking
Basic Pie Dough
3/4 c. Brown Rice Flour
1/4 c. White Sorghum Flour
1/2 c. Cornstarch
1/2 c. Potato Starch
1/2 c. Tapioca Starch
1 tsp. xathan gum
1 1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 c. + 3 tbsp Crisco shortening
Egg replacement for 1 egg (or if you want, use 1 large egg.)
5+ tbsp. of ice water
- Sift together flours and salt.
- Cut half of shortening into flour mixture with a pastry blender until it has the tendency of cornmeal. Cut in remaining shortening until it is pea sized. (Do NOT over cut. It makes the dough sticky and nasty.)
- Sprinkle dough with egg replacement and water, blending water gently with a fork until it justs holds together.
- Divide dough in half, shape each into a disk and roll out between two pieces of wax paper. Wax paper will save you a LOT of angst. If the dough is sticking, dust with potato flour.
Note: The crust was more crumbly than I wanted it to be. Next time, I think I will try 2 egg equivalents and more xathan gum. If you make this, let me know how it works out!
Strawberry Rhubarb Filling
1 lb. package of frozen rhubarb, thawed
1 pint strawberries, washed and halved lengthwise
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. cornstarch (more if the rhubarb is still slightly frozen.)
1/4 tsp. salt
1. Mix together above ingredients. Let stand for 15 minutes.
2. Pour mixture into bottom crust.
3. Cover with a vented top crust or a lattice.
4. Bake for 30 minutes in 425F oven, then lower the heat for 30F and bake for 25-30 minutes more until juices are thick and bubbly.
5. Cool completely on a rack.
What is your favourite type of pie?