First of all, I made cupcakes to take to people at work. I made them with pink icing. The recipe is adapted from the Joy of Cooking.
Sour Cream Spice Cupcakes
1 c. brown rice flour (note: the cupcake batter was a bit thick, so maybe use less flour or less thick sour cream.)
1/4 c. tapioca starch
1/4 c. potato starch
1 tsp. xathan gum
1 3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
5 tbsp. unsalted butter (~115 mL)
1 c. brown sugar
2 large eggs, separated
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. sour cream or plain yoghurt
1. Have all ingredients at room temperature. Preheat the oven to 375F. Prepare muffin tins with paper cups.
2. Whisk flours, xathan gum, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices in a bowl.
3. Beat butter in a large bowl until creamy. Gradually add the brown sugar and beat until light (3 -5 minutes).
4. Beat the egg yolks and vanilla into the butter sugar mixture.
5. Add the sour cream to the butter mixture alternating with the flour mixture.
6. Using clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff but not dry.
7. Fold 1/3 of the whites into the batter, then fold in the remaining.
8. Scrape batter into muffin tins.
9. Bake for approx. 25 minutes. Remove for pan and cool.
10. Ice with quick white icing once completely cooled. (Recipe Below)
Quick White (Pink) Icing
4 c. confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
2 tbsp. grenadine (to make it pink!)
2 – 4 tbsp. milk
2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1. Combine sugar and butter and beat on medium speed.
2. Add remaining ingredients and beat until smooth.
3. Add enough milk to get to the correct consistency.
4. Ice cake!
They disappeared really quickly – I put them out just after 7:30 and they were gone by 8:00.
Here they are ready to go to work:
Aren’t they cute?