For this month’s Secret Recipe Club, I had Renee of Kudo’s Kitchen by Renee. Renee is a super creative person – she is incredibly talented at painting on glass – I am so impressed with everything she does! On top of that, she has tons of tasty looking recipes such as this rainbow chicken salad, bangers and mash and orange creme brulee. Plus, she has Boston Terriers – my kind of gal!
I chose to make her Peanut Butter Banana Loaf. I asked Mr. Bean if he would cry about it - to which he replied “Only tears of joy”. Secret Recipe Club Choice for the win! As usual, I did adapt it – I reduced the sugar by 1 cup, made it gluten free, used egg replacer instead of the eggs and dairy-free margarine instead of butter. I didn’t have any coconut extract and many honey roasted peanuts have gluten in them, so I added some shredded coconut. Even with all those changes, it still turned out great and was super tasty! It’s a perfect breakfast loaf – not too sweet, has lots of fibre and protein and goes really well with a little margarine and a cup of tea.
Gluten Free Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Bread
2/3 c. brown rice flour
2/3 c. sorghum flour
1/3 c. tapioca starch
1/3 c. potato starch
1 tsp. xathan gum
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking powder
4 bananas, mashed
2 egg replacers (1 tbsp. egg replacer powder + 1/4 c. almond milk)
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 c. smooth peanut butter at room temperature (I used Kraft unsweetened creamy that I wanted to use up)
1/2 c. dairy free margarine, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 – 2 tbsp. almond milk
1/3 c. shredded unsweetened coconut
- Line a 5 x 9″ pan with parchment paper and preheat oven to 350F.
- Whisk together flours, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, egg replacers and brown sugar.
- Whisk in peanut butter, margarine, vanilla, apple cider vinegar and almond milk.
- Stir in flour with a wooden spoon. Once combined, stir in coconut.
- Scrape into pan and smooth top.
- Bake in oven for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in a few places comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and parchment paper and allow to cool before slicing.
If you want to make this non vegan, you can substitute the egg replacer with two eggs. If you don’t want to make it gluten free, use 2 c. of wheat flour for the flours & xathan gum and if you’re using eggs, reduce the baking powder to 1/2 tsp. and don’t add the apple cider vinegar.
Renee, it was great to have your blog and have the opportunity to witness all of your creativity! I look forward to trying more of your recipes!
Please check out the rest of Group D’s recipes by clicking the link below!