I know, it seems ridiculous that I have three versions of the same cookie, but these are my family’s favourite Christmas cookie and every year I make changes to make it that much better! Previous versions were fairly dry and/or crispy, but this version of the recipe gives a nice chewy and non-crumbly cookie. Of course, eating the raw dough is my family’s favourite thing about these cookies – so it means that there are lots of snitches while I’m making them!
Gluten, Dairy, Egg and Soy Free Cherry Almond Crisps
1 1/2 c. chopped candied cherries
1/2 c. blanches slivered almonds
1/2 c. coconut oil, softened at room temperature
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 egg replacer
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/3 c. brown rice flour
1/3 c. tapioca starch
1/3 c. sorghum flour
1 tsp. xathan gum
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
Rice or soy-free almond milk to get cookies to right consistency
- Chop up cherries and blanch and sliver almonds. Set aside.
- Cream together coconut oil and sugar.
- Add egg replacer, lemon juice and vanilla. Beat to combine.
- Add in dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- The dough will be fairly crumbly – add enough rice milk to get to a slightly sticky dough consistency.
- Add in cherries and almonds. Stir until well mixed in.
- Divide dough in half and shape into long rectangular blocks about 1 1/2″ – 2″ a side on a piece of wax paper. Wrap the dough in the wax paper.
- Cool in fridge for about 30 minutes or until the dough is firm enough to cut easily.
- Cut dough blocks into 1/4″ – 1/2″ thick slices. Place on cookie sheet.
- Bake in 350F oven for 12 – 15 minutes or until the bottoms start turning brown.
- Remove to a cooling rack.
What is your favourite Christmas cookie?