Do you love barbecue? We love BBQ around here, especially Mr. Bean. So, as part of Mr. Bean’s second anniversary present, I promised him that I would have a BBQ Bonanza dinner. Fortunately for me, this month’s theme for Go Ahead Honey, It’s Gluten Free is “Barbecue Bash” hosted by Chandice of Gluten Free Frenzy.
I wanted to keep our meal simple, delicious and for it to use some of the fresh produce I had bought at the farmer’s market earlier in the day. On the menu: chicken with Greek seasonings (for me) and Teriyaki steak, (for Mr. Bean) grilled zucchini, corn and bell peppers and grilled tomatoes with basil and mozzarella cheese. It definitely delivered on all fronts.
Grilled Bell Pepper
- Wash peppers and cut into thirds.
- Lightly coat peppers with olive oil.
- Cook on preheated grill on both sides until it is soft and has grill marks.
Steak of your choice
Wheat-free Soya Sauce
- In a container large enough for the steak(s), pour 2 about parts soya sauce for every part lemon juice.
- Pour in some honey and sprinkle some garlic powder. Put on lid and give it a good shake.
- Put steaks in container to marinate at least overnight.
- Flip the steaks over to ensure that both sides are marinated.
- Preheat BBQ and cook steaks to desired done-ness.
Olive Oil or Butter or Margarine
- Shuck the corn and place on a piece of tin foil that is large enough to wrap each ear of corn individually.
- Drizzle on olive oil and spread it over the corn and the foil or spread margarine/butter over corn.
- Sprinkle on salt and pepper. Wrap up corn in tinfoil.
- Cook on preheated grill (lower) until it looks cooked flipping it a few times.
- Take a knife/fork/tongs to rip holes in the foil so that the corn can caramelize.
- Once caramelized, remove from foil and enjoy!
Fresh or Dried Oregano
- Wash the zucchini and slice into ~3/4″ thick pieces.
- Put in a bowl and drizzle olive oil over pieces. Sprinkle on spices.
- Toss the zucchini in the oil mixture until evenly coated.
- Cook on preheated grill until soft and both sides have nice grill marks.
Grilled Tomatoes with Basil and Mozzarella Cheese
Fresh or dried basil
- Wash tomatoes, remove stem piece and cut in half horizontally. Remove most of the seeds and gushy insides.
- Brush olive oil over exposed tomato halves.
- Cook on a preheated grill face down until it begins to look grilled.
- Flip tomatoes over, sprinkle with salt, pepper and basil. Lay a slice of mozzarella cheese on the face of the tomato.
- Grill until cheese is melted and slightly browned.
What is your favourite thing to barbecue?