Last Monday Mr. Bean and I shared a Thanksgiving dinner with my family. I wanted to make pumpkin pie – given that it is a traditional thanksgiving food – but it had to be my family friendly. So what does that mean?
- No Gluten
- No Eggs
- No Dairy
- No Soy
- No Cinnamon
But that’s basically what traditional pumpkin pie is made of right? Well, I guess my pie was a bit unconventional and I have to say that I couldn’t love vegans more for their my family friendly food.
Gluten, Egg, Dairy, Soy and Cinnamon Free Pumpkin Pie
Pie Crust inspired by this recipe from Whole Foods
Filling inspired by this recipe from About.com
1/3 cup potato starch, plus extra for dusting
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1/3 cup millet flour
1/3 cup almond meal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold lard, cut into small pieces (Note: To make this vegan, use coconut oil)
1 egg replacer
1 tsp. xathan gum
- Put potato starch, tapioca flour, millet flour, almond meal, salt and xathan gum into a food processor and pulse a few times to combine.
- Add lard and pulse again until mixture resembles a coarse meal. I used my magic bullet and it turned it into a batter because it’s too small. So use an actual food processor or a pastry blender.
- Add egg replacer and pulse until completely combined to make a slightly sticky dough.
- Turn dough out onto a large sheet of waxed paper dusted with potato starch.
- Sprinkle potato starch over dough and knead gently, working in enough potato starch until dough holds together without being sticky but is still pliable. (Since my dough was so sticky, I probably used at least 1/4 c.)
- Using your fingertips, press dough into a 10-inch circle.
- Invert a 9-inch pie pan on top of the dough then quickly flip over both the pan and the dough so that the dough now rests in the pan.
- Gently peel away and discard wax paper and press dough into pie plate, patching it together, if needed.
- Set aside. The recipe recommends that you cook it for 15 minutes, but I didn’t.
1-15 ounce can pumpkin
1 c. coconut milk - don’t shake can and use the thicker milk at the top
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. potato starch
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. ground cloves - I added too many cloves, so this amount should be good
3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp. ginger
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Add all ingredients together and mix at medium speed for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Pour into previously prepared pie crust and bake for 15 minutes.
- Turn over down to 350F and bake for another 45 – 50 minutes.
- Let pie cool.
- Once pie is cool, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before eating.
Who makes your favourite pumpkin pie?